Today is my 25th birthday, so I’m going to share some of the immense wisdom that I have gained over the past quarter century!
1. Don’t be a jerk. Nobody likes jerks.
2. Stand up for yourself and others. If something seems wrong, it probably is so speak up.
3. Buy on clearance whenever possible. Not “sale.” Clearance. Unless you really love something, then buy it on sale.
4. Just clean the mess as you make it. It’s easier to clean 3 dishes than an entire stockpile.
5. You can do other stuff while you do the laundry. Important stuff, like watch Netflix.
6. Have a sense of humor about yourself. Laugh louder at yourself than others, and they’ll laugh with (not at) you.
7. Shrug it off. People aren’t rude because of you; they’re rude because of themselves. You’re just a minor blip in their radar, so don’t let them ruin your day.
8. Get over yourself already. All those little, minor imperfections that blind you to your good aspects? Nobody else even notices them. At all.
9. When in doubt, brush your teeth. It solves anxiety.
10. Practice good hygiene. You’ll feel better about yourself.
11. Love what you do, do what you love. Don’t waste time on distractions that make you unhappy.
12. Suck it up. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta; complain about it if it makes you feel better, but just do it.
13. Question authority. Especially authoritative men. Feel free to assume that they’re dicks until further notice.
14. If you see an animal, make friends with it. Wild or tame. Some friendships are best admired from afar.
15. Eat chocolate. It’s good for you.
16. Try new things. It’s also good for you (but not as good as chocolate).
17. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Their intentions may be good, or at least innocent.
18. Forgive those that deserve it. Holding a grudge will just make you unhappy, unless it’s a really funny, inconsequential story. Then feel free to never get over it.
19. Forgive those that don’t deserve it, too, but don’t give them a second chance. You do it for yourself.
20. Never assume that a woman is a senior just because she really, really looks like one.
21. Go for a run. It will make you feel better.
22. Boredom is for the uncreative. Plus, naps exist.
23. If it can’t be cooked in less than 30 minutes, it probably isn’t worth it.
24. People can see you when you roll your eyes at them on Skype.
25. IDGAF and GFY – two rude mottos that will reliably see you through the toughest moments in life.
I’ll end there, not with any intention to end at 25 but because I ran out of thoughts and also got a little bored. What wisdom have you gained in your life?